University of Toronto:
- Principal’s Appointee, Innis College Council, 1987-88 (John Browne, Principal)
- Moderator, Academic Affairs Committee, Innis College, 1987-88
University of Western Ontario:
- Vice-President, The Graduate English Society, 1980-81
- President, The Graduate English Society, 1981-82
- Member, Writing Program Committee, 1985-86 (B. Lundgren, Chair)
- Member, Committee on Undergraduate Studies, 1989-91 (J.D. Kneale, Chair)
- Member Film Program Committee, 1989-90 (A.J. Gedalof, Chair)
- Member, Committee on Women’s Studies and Feminist Research, 1991-93 (K. Brady, Chair)
- Member, Appointments, Promotion and Tenure Committee, 1993-95 (P. Gaudet, Chair)
- Chair, Committee on Colloquia, Visiting Speakers, etc., 1993-95
- Member, Committee on Graduate Studies, 1996-97 (E.D. Harvey, Chair)
- Member, Ad Hoc Committee on Differential Workload, 1996-7 (K. Brady, Chair)
- Ex Officio (as chair 1997-2001): Appointments, Promotion and Tenure Committee; Committee on Undergraduate Studies; Committee on Graduate Studies, Committee on Research and Travel, SSA Committee, Budget Committee.
- Faculty of Arts Representative to Faculty of Music Council, 1989-91 (Chair: J. Stokes, Dean of Music)
- Member, Selection Committee for Chair of English Department, 1991-92 (Chair: T.M. Lennon, Dean)
- Senate Subcommittee on Affiliated Colleges (SUAC) January 1993-December 31, 1994
- Senate Committee on Promotion and Tenure I, November 1994-November 1996. (Chair: Prof. Roma Harris)
- Senator, for the Faculty of Arts, 1997-99 and 1999-2001
- Senate Nominations Committee, 1998-2000 (Chair in 1998-1999 and in 1999-2000).
- Senate Operations and Agenda Committee, 1998-1999 and 1999-2000.
- Senate Committee on Promotion and Tenure I, November 1998-2001 (Chair in 1998-99)
- Senate Honorary Degrees Committee, 1998-2000.
- Senate Operations/Agenda ad hoc Subcommittee to Investigate an Allegation Regarding the Operation of The Senate Review Board Academic.
- Selection Committee for the Dean of Law, 1999-2000
- Vice-President’s Strategic Plan Committee for the Canada Research Chairs Program, 2000.
Other contributions at the University of Western Ontario:
- Panelist, Provost’s Advisory Committee on Teaching and Learning Seminars,1984; 1985
- Panelist, T.S. Eliot Centennial Celebration, U.W.O., September 1988
- Adjudicator, Lillian Kroll Prize in Creative Writing, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, and 1995.
- Adjudicator, Canadian Heritage Prize for Creative Writing, 1992
- “Veteran New Faculty” panelist, Educational Development Office Orientation for New Faculty, September 1992 at Windermere Manor
- Faculty Speaker, first-year counselling program, 1996
- Member of Panel on Graduate Students’ Professional Concerns, 1996 and 1997
- Co-ordinated founding of the Society of Undergraduate English Students, 1997
- Co-ordinated founding of the Film Students’ Society, 1998
- Counsellor, Summer Counselling Program, 1999 and 2000.
- Organizer (with T. Carmichael) of the Formal Exchange Agreement between the University of Western Ontario and the Université de Provence (Aix), due for signing 2000.
- Panelist and respondent, The Humanities and the Future of the University, Veritas Forum 2000.
University of Winnipeg:
The Vice-President (Academic) and Provost served, ex officio, on many bodies, including:
- The Board of Regents
- Senate (Vice-Chair)
- University Tenure and Promotion Committee (Chair)
- Senate Academic Planning Committee (Chair)
- Academic Council (Chair)
- Administrative Council (Vice-Chair)
- Mennonite Studies Chair Advisory Committee (Chair)
- German-Canadian Studies Chair Advisory Committee (Chair)
As Acting President, additional bodies including:
The Vice-Principal (Academic) serves ex officio on many committees, including:
- Internal Academic Review Committee (IAR), Chair
- Senate Committee on Academic Development (SCAD), Chair
- University Promotion Advisory Committee (UPAC), Chair
- University Promotion Committee (UPC), Chair
- Principal’s Advisory Committee on Budget (Vice-Chair)
- Capital Planning Committee
- University Teaching Awards Committee, Chair
- Canada Research Chair Executive Committee
- CFI Executive Committee
Other Queen’s Committees:
- Principal’s Advisory Committees (Decanal Searches; Decanal Reviews; Directorship Reviews, etc), Chair.
- Senate Convocation Task Force, Chair
- Steering Committee, Queen’s Administrative Systems Replacement (QASR), Co-Chair.
- Selection Committee, Queen’s Civic Responsibility Awards, Chair
- Selection Committee, Baillie Awards for Excellence in Secondary School Teaching, Chair.
- Joint Queen’s University – City of Kingston Steering Committee, Co-Chair with the CAO of the City of Kingston
- Joint Queen’s – Kingston Committee on the Aberdeen Street Party, Co-Chair
- University Council Executive Committee, Principal’s Designate, 2009-2010
Council of Ontario Academic Vice-Presidents (OCAV)
- Member, 2005 – 2010.
- Executive member, 2007 – 2010
- Vice-Chair 2008 – 2009,
- Chair, 1 July 2009 – 30 June 2010
- Undergraduate Program Review Audit Committee (UPRAC) Executive, 2007-2010 ; (Chair, 2009-2010)
- OCAV representative, Management Committee, Faculty Bargaining Services (CAUBO), 2009-2010.
Council of Ontario Universities (COU)
- Quality and Productivity Task Force, 2005-2006
- Standing Committee on Relationships, 2008-2010
- Institutional Issues Working Group, 2009-2010
- MTCU/COU Steering Committee/Working Group on Student Mobility – Credit Transfer System,
- Taskforce on Teaching and Learning, 2010 –
- Chair, Advisory Board, Ontario University Application Centre (OUAC), 2011-2015.
- Chair, OUAC Budget Committee, 2011-2015.
- Budget and Audit Committee, COU Holding Association Inc., 2011-
- Vice-Chair, 2014-15
- Chair, 2015-17
Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC), now Universities Canada (UC)
- Standing Advisory Committee on University Research (SACUR), 2010 – 2012.
- Ad Hoc Working Group on the New AUCC Narrative, January 2011 – 2012.
- Working Group on Teaching and Learning, November 2010 – 2011.
- Working Group on Student Mental Health, 2011 – 2012.
- Negotiating Team on Access Copyright, 2012.
- Ad Hoc Committee on College-University relations, 2012-
- Standing Advisory Committee on Educational Issues and Funding (SACEIF), 2012-
- Board of Directors, 2012-
Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE)
- Vice-Chair, Board of Directors, 2013-2014.
- Chair, Board of Directors, 2014-
- Finance Committee, 2013-2014.
- Executive Committee, 2013- (Chair, 2014-)
- Chair, Governance and Nominating Committee, 2013-2014.